Old 22-05-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OT frog puzzle

On 22/05/2013 10:37, Broadback wrote:

Not for the first time, on cleaning out my grids, where rainwater gets
diverted to a soak-away, I found a live frog. I find this a puzzle as to
how this happens. I assume that while small it slipped between the small
holes in the grid, then grew. If so whatever did it feed on? When I
removed it the poor thing seemed very feeble, so I don't suppose it will
survive. Can anyone explain how frogs get there, or what they live on?

Probably any flies, spiders, beetles or worms that fall into the grid.

I am always surprised to find frogs and grass snakes in the wilder bits
of my garden as it is a long way from any pond (approx 400m). There is
plenty of damp soil and leaf litter though under the big hedge. There is
a spring that keeps the soil in one corner at the bottom waterlogged.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown