Old 22-05-2013, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT frog puzzle

Not for the first time, on cleaning out my grids, where rainwater gets
diverted to a soak-away, I found a live frog. I find this a puzzle as to
how this happens. I assume that while small it slipped between the small
holes in the grid, then grew. If so whatever did it feed on? When I
removed it the poor thing seemed very feeble, so I don't suppose it will
survive. Can anyone explain how frogs get there, or what they live on?
Old 22-05-2013, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2013 10:37, Broadback wrote:

Not for the first time, on cleaning out my grids, where rainwater gets
diverted to a soak-away, I found a live frog. I find this a puzzle as to
how this happens. I assume that while small it slipped between the small
holes in the grid, then grew. If so whatever did it feed on? When I
removed it the poor thing seemed very feeble, so I don't suppose it will
survive. Can anyone explain how frogs get there, or what they live on?

Probably any flies, spiders, beetles or worms that fall into the grid.

I am always surprised to find frogs and grass snakes in the wilder bits
of my garden as it is a long way from any pond (approx 400m). There is
plenty of damp soil and leaf litter though under the big hedge. There is
a spring that keeps the soil in one corner at the bottom waterlogged.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-05-2013, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/05/2013 10:37, Broadback wrote:

Not for the first time, on cleaning out my grids, where rainwater gets
diverted to a soak-away, I found a live frog. I find this a puzzle as to
how this happens. I assume that while small it slipped between the small
holes in the grid, then grew. If so whatever did it feed on? When I
removed it the poor thing seemed very feeble, so I don't suppose it will
survive. Can anyone explain how frogs get there, or what they live on?

Probably any flies, spiders, beetles or worms that fall into the grid.

I am always surprised to find frogs and grass snakes in the wilder bits of my garden as it is a long way from any pond (approx 400m). There is plenty of damp soil and leaf litter though under the big
hedge. There is a spring that keeps the soil in one corner at the bottom waterlogged.

Twice I have put the key in to open my front door and then
been shocked when a frog jumped away from my feet.

I wouldn't be so surprised, but my front door is up concrete
steps and 5ft above a concrete drive extending 15ft in one
direction and 20ft in the other.

The 5ft+ drop onto concrete didn't seem to harm the frogs

Old 22-05-2013, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-22 12:56:27 +0100, Martin Brown said:

On 22/05/2013 10:37, Broadback wrote:

Not for the first time, on cleaning out my grids, where rainwater gets
diverted to a soak-away, I found a live frog. I find this a puzzle as to
how this happens. I assume that while small it slipped between the small
holes in the grid, then grew. If so whatever did it feed on? When I
removed it the poor thing seemed very feeble, so I don't suppose it will
survive. Can anyone explain how frogs get there, or what they live on?

Probably any flies, spiders, beetles or worms that fall into the grid.

I am always surprised to find frogs and grass snakes in the wilder bits
of my garden as it is a long way from any pond (approx 400m). There is
plenty of damp soil and leaf litter though under the big hedge. There
is a spring that keeps the soil in one corner at the bottom waterlogged.

Slightly different take on this but we were very amused on Sunday when
a customer came in and said "I have a dilemma" - a remark that makes
the heart sink for many reasons - "I got some pond weed from you last
year and now I have one solitary fish that has grown so big in our
small pond that it has to do three point turns"! Of course the vision
that conjured up made us all laugh and we said that yes, he could bring
it 'home'! The only conclusion we can reach is that either it went
with him hidden in the weed as a really tiny fish, with just enough
water in the bucket to survive, or it went as a mere egg and hatched
out there!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Offical Frog ~ Pacific Chorus Frog kthirtya Ponds (moderated) 1 02-05-2007 05:18 PM
BEECHES crossword puzzle JK Gardening 2 06-03-2003 01:51 PM
help solve a puzzle |-|erc Ponds 3 05-03-2003 08:54 PM
Monkey puzzle tree sw United Kingdom 7 26-02-2003 07:09 PM
Telegraph : Odd ball letter starts maths puzzle mania Tarzan United Kingdom 3 09-02-2003 09:19 AM