Old 26-05-2013, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hench Hench is offline

Default Transplanting Lily of the Valley

On 5/26/2013 2:08 AM, songbird wrote:
Hench wrote:

Can it be done? and how?

zone 5a/5b Ontario Canada. Currently have under a magnolia tree 21
started shoots of Lily of the valley. Spaced about 6 inches/15 cm apart.

I have in another part of my property lily of the valley that is really
starting to self grow to the point where I have to cut it back. It
really took off in that part this spring. So I would like to transplant
another 20 shoots to under that magnolia tree.

Can it be done?

yes, easily, use a shovel and dig up
chunks of it, the bigger the chunk you
can move the better, try to keep the
root/rhizome/dirt chunk together as
much as possible when moving. water in
after moving.

if you have a source that you are
regularly cutting back, use that edge
as a source, you can probably get more
plugs than you'll ever need.

songbird

Do I wait until a certain time of year though? Do they have to bloom first?