Old 26-05-2013, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Transplanting Lily of the Valley

Can it be done? and how?

zone 5a/5b Ontario Canada. Currently have under a magnolia tree 21
started shoots of Lily of the valley. Spaced about 6 inches/15 cm apart.

I have in another part of my property lily of the valley that is really
starting to self grow to the point where I have to cut it back. It
really took off in that part this spring. So I would like to transplant
another 20 shoots to under that magnolia tree.

Can it be done?
Old 26-05-2013, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hench writes:

Can it be done? and how?

zone 5a/5b Ontario Canada. Currently have under a magnolia tree 21
started shoots of Lily of the valley. Spaced about 6 inches/15 cm
apart.

I have in another part of my property lily of the valley that is
really starting to self grow to the point where I have to cut it back.
It really took off in that part this spring. So I would like to
transplant another 20 shoots to under that magnolia tree.

Can it be done?

Of course it can be done, we gave some to neighbors years back and
they did fine.

Just dig em out and plant them somewhere else.

--
Dan Espen
Old 26-05-2013, 07:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:

Can it be done? and how?

zone 5a/5b Ontario Canada. Currently have under a magnolia tree 21
started shoots of Lily of the valley. Spaced about 6 inches/15 cm apart.

I have in another part of my property lily of the valley that is really
starting to self grow to the point where I have to cut it back. It
really took off in that part this spring. So I would like to transplant
another 20 shoots to under that magnolia tree.

Can it be done?

yes, easily, use a shovel and dig up
chunks of it, the bigger the chunk you
can move the better, try to keep the
root/rhizome/dirt chunk together as
much as possible when moving. water in
after moving.

if you have a source that you are
regularly cutting back, use that edge
as a source, you can probably get more
plugs than you'll ever need.

songbird
Old 26-05-2013, 11:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/26/2013 2:08 AM, songbird wrote:
Hench wrote:

[...]

Do I wait until a certain time of year though? Do they have to bloom first?
Old 26-05-2013, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:

[...]

No, just dig em up and move them.
You're trying to over think this.

--
Dan Espen

Old 26-05-2013, 04:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hench wrote:

[...]

Yup, probably the easist plant to replant, can be replanted any time
so long as the ground ain't frozen solid... just think carefully
WHERE... lily of the valley is very invasive.
Old 26-05-2013, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/26/2013 9:03 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Hench writes:

Do I wait until a certain time of year though? Do they have to bloom first?

No, just dig em up and move them.
You're trying to over think this.

Understood

[IMG] code is On

Lily of the Valley 'Pips' planting advice ZoeM United Kingdom 0 03-04-2005 08:08 PM
Lily Of The Valley - Planting Advice Sought Mike B United Kingdom 14 08-11-2004 11:03 AM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM