Old 27-05-2013, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default today

"songbird" wrote in message
apropos to the other thread, and instead
of being OT.

finally got more planting done.

the old grape trellis now has a woven
netting to give the climbing beans some
support. in the aims of keeping it simple
and using recycled materials we had some
old cotton yarn that i used to make the
netting.

as this is all experimental and unfenced
from deer i took the time to pull some
garlic and spread it around to mask any
enticing smells. also took many more garlics
out to use as breakfast. they look like a
green onion at this stage. very tasty.
if you know you are going to use the cloves
of garlic for green onions like this it is
good to bury them deeply as then you'll get
more white/blanched stalk along with the
green top. i pulled one that had a good
eight inches of blanched stalk. starting
from bulbules it takes two years to get to
decent stalk size.

in the process of making room to plant i
had to move a few dozen strawberry plants to
other bare spots in the patch and that meant
weeding spaces and then watering them all
in.

tomorrow i hope to go plant some peas in
that garden as they can maybe act as decoy
plants if the deer or woodchucks come through
looking for goodies.

if you can't tell by now, some things i
do, i just do for fun. not all of them
turn out. last year, with all the frosts
and strange spring weather i had a few
quarts of strawberries from this auxillary
patch. this season, there's a lot of blooms
back there, so i'm hoping for a few more
quarts than last year.

so it goes. goodnight...

songbird

I found out yesterday that a neighbor has some extra garlic plants ... and
mine planted down in Memphis before we decided to move have been trampled
into the ground by g-kids and dogs . I'll be getting some soon !

On another note , here in the USA today is the day we honor our fallen
soldiers . I'd really like to be in DC for Rolling Thunder , but that wasn't
possible so instead the wife and I have decided to have a neighborhood
barbecue . The shoulders pork have been smokin' since last night , the
beans are pre-heating on the stove before I put them on the smoker just
did that , and Momma's 'tater salad is in the fridge .

In memory of those who have fallen , and those who served and came home .
May we regain those liberties that were so hard-won before those who would
see us in servitude can accomplish their goals .
--
Snag
USN