Old 27-05-2013, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy[_2_] Janet Tweedy[_2_] is offline

Default plants to cover arch

What combination of plants could I suggest to someone who has a lovely
metal arch and would like fragrant flowers but more imprtantly as long a
period of interest as possible.
Quite sheltered garden facing south, neutral to alkeline soil

They aren't expert gardeners so good doers perhaps, but not rampant stuff.
Colour not important

I thought lonicera out because it so often gets infested, jasmine might
get unruly(though poss, stephanese) and doesn't take to pruning, maybe
clematis and roses or a trachleospermum, maybe even some annual climbers
like ipomea, eccromocarpus

Think whoever sold them their house took their plants with them as there
seems to be nothing in the ground apart from 3 very unpruned young
espaalier apple trees, a whole bed of chives, a pile of assorted stones,
three msierable roses planted about 5 feet aprt and a climber outisde
that looks very similar to clumbine but has reddish stems and slightly
more jagged leaves. Looks like it dies every eyar then grwos on top of
what died
--
Janet T.
Amersham