Old 27-05-2013, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plants to cover arch

What combination of plants could I suggest to someone who has a lovely
metal arch and would like fragrant flowers but more imprtantly as long a
period of interest as possible.
Quite sheltered garden facing south, neutral to alkeline soil

They aren't expert gardeners so good doers perhaps, but not rampant stuff.
Colour not important

I thought lonicera out because it so often gets infested, jasmine might
get unruly(though poss, stephanese) and doesn't take to pruning, maybe
clematis and roses or a trachleospermum, maybe even some annual climbers
like ipomea, eccromocarpus

Think whoever sold them their house took their plants with them as there
seems to be nothing in the ground apart from 3 very unpruned young
espaalier apple trees, a whole bed of chives, a pile of assorted stones,
three msierable roses planted about 5 feet aprt and a climber outisde
that looks very similar to clumbine but has reddish stems and slightly
more jagged leaves. Looks like it dies every eyar then grwos on top of
what died
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-05-2013, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

Honeysuckle should be OK if kept watered, but it sounds like a job for
roses, I wouldn't plant Trachelospermum away from a wall as here they get
badly burnt in winter, shame it can't be just a bit rampant!! I love Akebia
for spring flowers and summer leaves and some clematis for later flowering
but I can't pretend Akebia wont grow :~)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 28-05-2013, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

What combination of plants could I suggest to someone who has a lovely
metal arch and would like fragrant flowers but more imprtantly as long a
period of interest as possible.
Quite sheltered garden facing south, neutral to alkeline soil

They aren't expert gardeners so good doers perhaps, but not rampant stuff.
Colour not important

I thought lonicera out because it so often gets infested, jasmine might
get unruly(though poss, stephanese) and doesn't take to pruning, maybe
clematis and roses or a trachleospermum, maybe even some annual climbers
like ipomea, eccromocarpus

The last are not scented. My experience with scented climbers is not
good, but I am trying some Clematis flammula. Don't bother with any
jasmine - the only hardy, nominally scented, one is J. officinale
and it's a b*gg*r to prune (and, in my experience, neither flowers
well nor is strongly scented).

In my (again, limited) experience, honeysuckles vary immensely in
vulnerability to aphids - L. periclymenum and japonica seem to be
resistant, x brownii and x tellmanniana need direct sun for any
resistance, and etrusca is hopeless. henryi and armandii seem
resistant, too, but would smother anything else on an arch.

And, while I grow them, sweet peas seem hopelessly vulnerable, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-27 22:42:20 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

[...]

How about Akebia quinata alba, Janet? It smells heavenly and flowers
over a long period though it needs two of the same species to
pollinate, so they could also grow the chocolate one! It could be
followed by a jasmine as you say or perhaps by Cobea scandens planted
annually? Rosa Gloire de Dijon is one of my personal favourites and so
is Mde. Isaac Pereire, though it's not remontant but has a fabulous
scent.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-05-2013, 10:41 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
[...]

Most of what you suggest is unscented. I'd go for honeysuckle (a late one and an early one) but, as you say, it does tend to get aphids - I suspect the one I have over an arch is OK because it's within 3ft of the bluetit nest in the traffic lights! So you're probably best to reject it.

If you go for roses, be very careful about vigour. Both in Kent and here, any roses I've grown have grown to about twice the advertised height. The trouble with an arch is the same as with a hedge - difficult to get something that will reach the top of the arch quickly and then stop growing ;-)

For annuals, you could try sweet peas for the fragrance. I don't know how you'd go about mixing a perennial with some annuals - might be difficult to get the annuals to establish if the perennial is already hogging the soil.

The climber that looks like a columbine - there is a climbing aconitum - could it be that? Both Aconitum (columbine) and Aconitum are in the buttercup family.
__________________

Old 28-05-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 09:21, Sacha wrote:
How about Akebia quinata alba, Janet? It smells heavenly and flowers
over a long period though it needs two of the same species to pollinate,
so they could also grow the chocolate one! It could be followed by a
jasmine as you say or perhaps by Cobea scandens planted annually? Rosa
Gloire de Dijon is one of my personal favourites and so is Mde. Isaac
Pereire, though it's not remontant but has a fabulous scent.

I've got Madame P but it is a shrub not a climber and does struggle a
bit. I liked Compassion though an older variety - for the scent but
Gloire de Dijon might be an alternative .
Thank you. Just want to get the basics in for them to inspire them, they
have been a bit overwhelemed by the bare garden and what worries me is
that there aren't many weeds!!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-05-2013, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-28 12:02:39 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 28/05/2013 09:21, Sacha wrote:
How about Akebia quinata alba, Janet? It smells heavenly and flowers
over a long period though it needs two of the same species to pollinate,
so they could also grow the chocolate one! It could be followed by a
jasmine as you say or perhaps by Cobea scandens planted annually? Rosa
Gloire de Dijon is one of my personal favourites and so is Mde. Isaac
Pereire, though it's not remontant but has a fabulous scent.

I've got Madame P but it is a shrub not a climber and does struggle a
bit. I liked Compassion though an older variety - for the scent but
Gloire de Dijon might be an alternative .
Thank you. Just want to get the basics in for them to inspire them,
they have been a bit overwhelemed by the bare garden and what worries
me is that there aren't many weeds!!

The other lovely, bright pink and scented climbing rose is Gertrude
Jekyll, another good one. Our Mde. Isaac is definitely a climber but
I've seen it called a shrub and that 'it can climb', so take your pick!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-05-2013, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

have been a bit overwhelemed by the bare garden and what worries me is
that there aren't many weeds!!

You can have all my weeds, they are just waiting for you top collect them.

Old 28-05-2013, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 17:51, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2013 17:18:20 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

have been a bit overwhelemed by the bare garden and what worries me is
that there aren't many weeds!!

You can have all my weeds, they are just waiting for you top collect them.

Pick your own weeds BOGOF Garden Banter introductory offer?

This is not banter but a firm offer.

Old 28-05-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 17:18, David Hill wrote:
You can have all my weeds, they are just waiting for you top collect them.

ah well, no, perhaps i should elucidate. i meant there aren't many weeds
in the garden apart from the front where there's been weed suppressant
and bark to cover columbine. I was a bit worried that if weeds don't
grow then maybe the soil is really poor.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-05-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 17:59, David Hill wrote:
This is not banter but a firm offer.

Any firm that offers weeds for sale, i wouldn't trust david not one bit !

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-05-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 18:14, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 28/05/2013 17:59, David Hill wrote:
This is not banter but a firm offer.

Any firm that offers weeds for sale, i wouldn't trust david not one
bit !

Did I mention for sale?
I said you could have them.

Old 28-05-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 18:27, David Hill wrote:
Did I mention for sale?
I said you could have them.

no such thing as a free lunch .............

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-05-2013, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2013 18:57, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 28/05/2013 18:27, David Hill wrote:
Did I mention for sale?
I said you could have them.

no such thing as a free lunch .............

You must have a strange diet.

Rose Arch MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 0 06-09-2005 10:53 PM
Rose Arch / Gazebo MrBlueSkye United Kingdom 1 10-08-2005 11:02 PM
nice rose to cover an arch- suggestions please! melanie United Kingdom 0 04-07-2004 10:36 AM
Climbers for my arch (part 2) Pam Morris United Kingdom 9 19-09-2003 10:01 AM
Climbers for my arch Pam Morris United Kingdom 3 17-09-2003 09:42 AM