Old 29-05-2013, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Young fruit tree grows suckers

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers? Inquiring minds...

Probably each has a different root stock. Some stone fruit produces

suckers forever. I have two plum trees, both different, but both

produce suckers every year, a few from below the graft and a few from

above the graft... it's just the nature of the beast. Some I catch

early and simply brush them off with my hand, some escape my view,

become more established and require a pruner. My ginkgos produce

suckers all along their trunk constantly. I always considered suckers

an indication of a healthy plant.

Tx, Brooklyn - I'll just keep on pulling/cutting/digging them off.

But WHY do you consider suckers an "indication of a healthy plant" (Inquiring minds g.) It could be argued that the plant is dissipating sp or scattering its changes of producing fruit, which would set seed, which is the tree's raison d'etre.

HB