Old 29-05-2013, 06:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Young fruit tree grows suckers

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers? Inquiring minds...

TIA

HB
Old 29-05-2013, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing
fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I
removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the
apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers?

The graft is having trouble establishing itself on the root stock.
Carefully dig down to where sucker attaches to the root, and tear the
sucker off. You may need a pair of pliers.

Inquiring minds...

Not in evidence

TIA

HB

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 29-05-2013, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers? Inquiring minds...

Probably each has a different root stock. Some stone fruit produces
suckers forever. I have two plum trees, both different, but both
produce suckers every year, a few from below the graft and a few from
above the graft... it's just the nature of the beast. Some I catch
early and simply brush them off with my hand, some escape my view,
become more established and require a pruner. My ginkgos produce
suckers all along their trunk constantly. I always considered suckers
an indication of a healthy plant.
Old 29-05-2013, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing

fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I

removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the

apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers?

[...]

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

***All the Rachels

http://www.standwithus.com/pdfs/flye...elVictims3.pdf

HB

Old 29-05-2013, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:47:08 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is doing fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers? Inquiring minds...

Probably each has a different root stock. Some stone fruit produces

suckers forever. I have two plum trees, both different, but both

produce suckers every year, a few from below the graft and a few from

above the graft... it's just the nature of the beast. Some I catch

early and simply brush them off with my hand, some escape my view,

become more established and require a pruner. My ginkgos produce

suckers all along their trunk constantly. I always considered suckers

an indication of a healthy plant.

Tx, Brooklyn - I'll just keep on pulling/cutting/digging them off.

But WHY do you consider suckers an "indication of a healthy plant" (Inquiring minds g.) It could be argued that the plant is dissipating sp or scattering its changes of producing fruit, which would set seed, which is the tree's raison d'etre.

HB

Old 30-05-2013, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/13 10:53 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim)
is doing fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from
the base. I removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing
out the same as the apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers? Inquiring minds...

TIA

HB

In some cases, suckering indicates that the tree is stressed. Stress
could be caused by incorrect planting (too deep, too shallow), incorrect
watering (too much or too little), insect attack, etc.

Suckering can also be a characteristic of the technique used to graft
the scion onto the root stock. Finally, some trees (e.g., poplars,
crepe myrtle) just enjoy suckering.

Suckers should always be pulled away from the trunk or roots. If they
are merely cut, they will quickly grow back.

While plum and apricot are both in the genus Prunus, they are quite
different species and should not be expected to grow the same.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 30-05-2013, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Plants are naturally frugal... they wouldn't waste their energy
producing suckers, or anything extraneous, unless they have an
abundance of stored energy.
Old 30-05-2013, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have two fruit trees about 3-4 years old. The apricot (Blenheim) is
doing

fine, but the plum (Santa Rosa) keeps making suckers from the base. I

removed these and it looked like the tree was leafing out the same as the

apricot, but now more suckers from the base.

Is there a reason that only one of these keeps making suckers?

[...]

Remember Rachel Corrie

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

***All the Rachels

http://www.standwithus.com/pdfs/flye...elVictims3.pdf

HB

There is film of the event, ya know? There was no terrorist tunnel. The
IDF was destroying homes. A doctor and his family was inside the one
that Rachel tried to protect. She was wearing a day glow vest. The IDF
tractor driver drove over her, and then backed up over her for good
measure. The Zionists are occupiers, and the occupied have the right to
resist. It has noting to do with Jews and Moslems, it is about land,
money, power, and greed.

http://imeu.net/news/article005864.shtml

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/