Old 30-05-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Ducks in Garden ,beneficial or a nuisance?

Well, the creatures I took my usenet name from when I suddenly needed
to fill in the box have after a couple of years discovered the pond in
the Garden. Mallard Drake and Female. They do have a certain charm
and the pond was set up for wildlife but it is not huge ,about 12ft by
8ft. Opinions online seem to differ on whether wild ducks in a garden
and a pond are a good thing or not. some say they will gobble up all
the tadpoles,newts, water snails frogs and oxygenating plants leaving
a muddy mess.
Others seem to like them around as they eat a lot of slugs and snails
but with the risk of losing some plants to them by them eating them or
trampling things with their webbed feet.
They took off tonight when I finally moved closer than 6ft and flew
back to the small river which is only 50 yards away. No nest yet which
I suspect is what they want to create in the garden and going by
previous days they will come back tomorrow. If they do manage to build
one then I will be stuck with them for a while and I wouldn't move
them but if they are undesirable to have then I will "shoo" them away
regularly before they build.
Anyone on here have any experience, Advice or opinions.

G.Harman