Old 30-05-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ducks in Garden ,beneficial or a nuisance?

Well, the creatures I took my usenet name from when I suddenly needed
to fill in the box have after a couple of years discovered the pond in
the Garden. Mallard Drake and Female. They do have a certain charm
and the pond was set up for wildlife but it is not huge ,about 12ft by
8ft. Opinions online seem to differ on whether wild ducks in a garden
and a pond are a good thing or not. some say they will gobble up all
the tadpoles,newts, water snails frogs and oxygenating plants leaving
a muddy mess.
Others seem to like them around as they eat a lot of slugs and snails
but with the risk of losing some plants to them by them eating them or
trampling things with their webbed feet.
They took off tonight when I finally moved closer than 6ft and flew
back to the small river which is only 50 yards away. No nest yet which
I suspect is what they want to create in the garden and going by
previous days they will come back tomorrow. If they do manage to build
one then I will be stuck with them for a while and I wouldn't move
them but if they are undesirable to have then I will "shoo" them away
regularly before they build.
Anyone on here have any experience, Advice or opinions.

G.Harman
Old 31-05-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-30 22:09:09 +0100, said:

[...]

I can't imagine shooing away any bird or animal that thinks our garden
is just what it needs to raise a family, because I'd feel privileged!
If they do nest with you, would it be possible to put some temporary
netting round the area to contain them just to that bit, if you're
worried about your plants? They may have been exploring and just
seeing what's about but may be in danger from foxes if they just nest
on the edge of a pond.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-05-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/05/2013 09:57, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-05-30 22:09:09 +0100, said:

[...]

When I had a pond I hosted a pair, never had a problem, strangely they
nested in the hedge, but something destroyed the eggs, probably magpies.
I removed the pond a few years ago, this year a Mallard drake has taken
to sitting in our drive, I cannot think why, but he is welcome.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:50:35 +0100, Broadback wrote:

On 31/05/2013 09:57, Sacha wrote:

I can't imagine shooing away any bird or animal that thinks our garden
is just what it needs to raise a family, because I'd feel privileged!
If they do nest with you, would it be possible to put some temporary
netting round the area to contain them just to that bit, if you're
worried about your plants? They may have been exploring and just
seeing what's about but may be in danger from foxes if they just nest
on the edge of a pond.

When I had a pond I hosted a pair, never had a problem, strangely they
nested in the hedge, but something destroyed the eggs, probably magpies.
I removed the pond a few years ago, this year a Mallard drake has taken
to sitting in our drive, I cannot think why, but he is welcome.

We like ducks. There was a children's book called "Look out for
ducklings" that our kids adored, so all ducks get addressed as Mr and Mrs
Mallard (whether they are or not). They don't do any harm that I know
about. They have every interest in getting out before hunting season
starts, though, as they're unlikely to survive the poachers who hunt on
the other side of the path.

I remember one year out cutting on the tractor, they followed me around
like dogs for hours pecking insects from the fresh cut grass. The
tractor bothered them not at all.

We used to have a heron now and again, but I haven't seen one for a few
years. Magnificent birds.

I don't know though, Sacha. Have you ever had a flock of geese strutting
around the garden? They're quite aggressive, and they make an enormous
mess with their droppings...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 31-05-2013, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-31 11:33:03 +0100, Emery Davis said:

[...]

I think geese would have a severe problem landing on any of our ponds!
I wouldn't mind having some if they were contained and I think the only
'problem' with ducks or geese running around completely unfenced is the
mess. I agree it can be considerable! When we had ducks they were
contained to one pond and couldn't get out - until the night they found
their wings weren't as clipped as we thought and off they went!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:09:09 PM UTC+1, wrote:

[...]

Enjoy them. Gardens are largely for enjoyment. The ducks need somewhere to live, will eat slugs, snails & pests, and fertilise for you. Seedlings can be protected (from cats) with sticks, so I expect it would liikely work with ducks too.

NT

nuisance footballs chris rowe United Kingdom 4 12-04-2005 12:45 PM
nuisance chipmunks John Lawns 1 28-08-2003 08:22 PM
Public Nuisance Yards Rusty Mase Texas 4 26-06-2003 04:33 AM
Slug and snails nuisance HaaRoy United Kingdom 16 06-01-2003 02:21 AM
On Slugs - Slug and snails nuisance ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 0 15-12-2002 01:05 AM