Old 31-05-2013, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ducks in Garden ,beneficial or a nuisance?

On Fri, 31 May 2013 10:50:35 +0100, Broadback wrote:

On 31/05/2013 09:57, Sacha wrote:

I can't imagine shooing away any bird or animal that thinks our garden
is just what it needs to raise a family, because I'd feel privileged!
If they do nest with you, would it be possible to put some temporary
netting round the area to contain them just to that bit, if you're
worried about your plants? They may have been exploring and just
seeing what's about but may be in danger from foxes if they just nest
on the edge of a pond.

When I had a pond I hosted a pair, never had a problem, strangely they
nested in the hedge, but something destroyed the eggs, probably magpies.
I removed the pond a few years ago, this year a Mallard drake has taken
to sitting in our drive, I cannot think why, but he is welcome.

We like ducks. There was a children's book called "Look out for
ducklings" that our kids adored, so all ducks get addressed as Mr and Mrs
Mallard (whether they are or not). They don't do any harm that I know
about. They have every interest in getting out before hunting season
starts, though, as they're unlikely to survive the poachers who hunt on
the other side of the path.

I remember one year out cutting on the tractor, they followed me around
like dogs for hours pecking insects from the fresh cut grass. The
tractor bothered them not at all.

We used to have a heron now and again, but I haven't seen one for a few
years. Magnificent birds.

I don't know though, Sacha. Have you ever had a flock of geese strutting
around the garden? They're quite aggressive, and they make an enormous
mess with their droppings...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy