Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] iwaddell@gmail.com is offline

Default Plant ID please

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 7:32:32 PM UTC+1, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 18:52:13 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 02/06/2013 15:38, Ian wrote:

Hi there,

Could anyone help me with the name of the plant/shrub in the top of

this picture (above the geraniums).

http://www.colourbox.com/image/medit...-and-blue-red-

flowers-image-2064762

Also, any advice on whether it would grow in the UK would also be

appreciated.

Ian

Looks like Hibiscus rosa-sinensis to me, or something very similar.

Definitely a hibiscus, anyway. They are not hardy in the UK, and would

not survive a winter outside, but would be suitable for a conservatory.

You can usually find them in various flower colours in garden centres.

Just to note that some Hibiscus are hardy enough to survive outside, at

least in East Anglia.

We had one for several years against the kitchen wall (south facing) and

currently have an offshoot of this one in the front garden, and a garden

centre blue hibiscus syriacus (according to the label) in a pot out the

back.

Both seem fine despite the harsh winter.

Cheers

Dave R

Thanks for the ID and information everyone.

Ian