Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please

Hi there,

Could anyone help me with the name of the plant/shrub in the top of this picture (above the geraniums).

http://www.colourbox.com/image/medit...-image-2064762

Also, any advice on whether it would grow in the UK would also be appreciated.

Ian
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2013 15:38, wrote:
Hi there,

Could anyone help me with the name of the plant/shrub in the top of this picture (above the geraniums).

http://www.colourbox.com/image/medit...-image-2064762

Also, any advice on whether it would grow in the UK would also be appreciated.

Ian

Looks like Hibiscus rosa-sinensis to me, or something very similar.
Definitely a hibiscus, anyway. They are not hardy in the UK, and would
not survive a winter outside, but would be suitable for a conservatory.

You can usually find them in various flower colours in garden centres.

--

Jeff
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 18:52:13 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 02/06/2013 15:38, wrote:
Hi there,

Could anyone help me with the name of the plant/shrub in the top of
this picture (above the geraniums).

http://www.colourbox.com/image/medit...-and-blue-red-

flowers-image-2064762

Also, any advice on whether it would grow in the UK would also be
appreciated.

Ian

Looks like Hibiscus rosa-sinensis to me, or something very similar.
Definitely a hibiscus, anyway. They are not hardy in the UK, and would
not survive a winter outside, but would be suitable for a conservatory.

You can usually find them in various flower colours in garden centres.

Just to note that some Hibiscus are hardy enough to survive outside, at
least in East Anglia.

We had one for several years against the kitchen wall (south facing) and
currently have an offshoot of this one in the front garden, and a garden
centre blue hibiscus syriacus (according to the label) in a pot out the
back.

Both seem fine despite the harsh winter.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote On Sun, 02 Jun 2013 18:52:13 +0100, Jeff Layman

[...]

Hibiscus syriacus and it's cultivars is hardy, indeed we have a number of
self seeded ones that we are gradually turning into a flowering hedge on our
allotment. However, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis which is usually seen in
sub-tropical and tropical gardens will not take any frost IME.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2013 15:38, Ian wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the ID and information everyone.

Ian

Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2013 15:38, wrote:
Hi there,

Could anyone help me with the name of the plant/shrub in the top of this picture (above the geraniums).

http://www.colourbox.com/image/medit...-image-2064762

Also, any advice on whether it would grow in the UK would also be appreciated.

Ian

Why can't people asking this sort of question give some idea of where
thy are in the UK.
What will grow in Cornwall might or might not survive in Kent where as
in the North of Scotland...........
Well I'll leave it to you to work out