Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default today

In article ,
songbird wrote:
I was finishing up my planting, the important parts, anyway) on Sat. I
spent about an hour fussing starters into the ground. When I was done, I
just wanted to lie in the shade, and call 911. Half a gallon of water
later, I found out it was 97F (a record here for that date:6/1).

Don't push yourselves. Summer is just starting, and you'll acclimate to
some of the heat, but you'll have to be smart about the rest of it.
Safe gardening.

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

apropos to the other thread, and instead
of being OT.

finally got more planting done.

Same he Replanted some beans to replace seedlings that had been
neatly topped by grasshoppers, LOL!

i thought you had treated for those?

we finished up planting the tomatoes, peppers
and other misc starts from the greenhouse. all
i have left to do are peas/peapods or beans to
fill in the remaining spaces, a few beets
perhaps but these will not have any worms/worm
poo under them as i have used it all up. hauled
160+ lbs in 8 buckets today and all of that went
under the 34 tomato plants. 20 Big Beef, 8 Romas
and 4 Gloria. i was hoping to try some others
but i didn't go with Ma when she picked up the
plants so what we got was what we got... i sure
didn't plan on 12 cabbage plants or 4 spaghetti
squash plants either or yellow peppers. gack,
all of the yellow peppers i've had have been
fairly tasteless, so we'll see if home grown has
more going for them or not i guess...

Also -- last night, actually -- transplanted some okra, something
I've never before done in my life. Usually just poke some seeds into the
ground, wait a few days and stand back.

*nods* that's all my brother has always done.
he's the okra grower/eater. i grew a few here
last year, but i cook so rarely now that it's
a waste of space. i gave most of my seeds from
last year's crop to my brother to plant.

This year, though, I
interplanted okra and yellow squash, harboring visions of the squash
thriving in idyllic bliss in the broken shade of the okra instead of --
as is normally the case -- wilting down pitiably, daily. At any rate,
they were planted on the same date: Mistake. Of course, the squash all
had fully emerged by the second day and by the time the okra presented
itself, the squash was hogging all of the sunlight.

*chuckles*

Oh, well, I'll give
the okra some lead time next time. As things are now, a couple of them
are doing well but the others were moved (into another okra bed) last
night. When it's all big enough, I'm going to plant squashes under it,
just to see. I know that okra does not like to have its roots crowded
but I'd like to find _something_ productive to grow in all of that space
between the stalks, stems, trunks -- whatever one calls them.
Suggestions (preferrably based on experience), please?

sorry i've only grown four okra plants here in
my life. i'm always game for peas/peapods simply
because they add so much nice green cover to the
area and i enjoy raiding them for peas/pods if i
have to weed/water.

i suspect your squash idea might be ok but that
mildew problem is a tough one to get around. same
with about any green or lettuce. how about some
decoratives for the bees? mints, thymes, basils,
sages, parsleys, etc. all grow quickly enough that
you can get some production from them in a month's
time.

songbird

--
Remember Rachel Corrie