Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Odd marks on leaves

On 04/06/2013 13:03, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 03/06/2013 20:22, Pete C wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

While I was weeding the plot this morning, I noticed sky blue marks
on broad bean leaves. On further inspection, I found the same on
French beans and peas. Some just spots, others about 5p size. It
wipes off with a wet finger. Any ideas as to what this could be?
Ta

I have no idea what this can be. BUT I would spray them with Provado
Ultimate Bug Killer. Yes I know that it is not friendly. But what
else can you do? Catch 22 situation. Beans or no beans? I hate these
decisions, but usualy spray if my plants are threatened.

Thanks Baz. Not keen on sprays if I can help. Will wipe all the
leaves clean tomorrow and see what happens.

Why spray with an insecticide?

Why not? Do you have a better idea?
I have found that a dose of Provado Ultimate Bug Killer does the job in
most cases where the cause/pest/parasite/fungi is not known. So if it works
for ME, it should work for others.

Baz

if the blue spots wipe off then I'd just dose the plants with a soapy
wash in the first instance.]In all my years I have never come across an
insect leaving blue spots on a plant, and as you yourself say Provado is
not friendly.
I use sprays as a method of last resort.
Gone are the days where plants were sprayed with fungicide one week and
insecticide the next every fortnight through the growing season.
Strange thing is that in those days bees thrived.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay