Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Advice on a Haworthia fasciata

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:
I have a Haworthia that I rescued from a friend who was killing it....
(Not intentionally)

I have had it for about 2 years now and this year it has put it 7 new
growths from the bottom and a long new growth out the top (Like a spider
plant would do)
I wish I had a digital camera....This would be so much easier!

Is this a flower or is it just like a spider plant...
A new shoot that should be pegged down to start a new satalite plant?

It's a flower stem. The flowers are usually tiny greenish white "lilies"
with purple stripes. Occasionally Haworthias will produce a plantlet on
the flower stem long after the flowers are gone, so leave it on the plant.

Any help would be great...
Links to images would be even better!

It's an interesting group of plants. easy to grow if you don't overwater,
and easy to propagate. The related genus Gasteria has a lot of nice plants
in it too. While some Gasterias get large, Haworthias generally stay small
so they're an good group of plants for people with limited space.