Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Terry Deans Terry Deans is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 25/10/04 12:58 am, in article
,
"ned"
wrote:

snip
My experience is that grass grows well enough up to and under my
hedge.
Even in the drought conditions of 2003 the only patch of grass to
suffer was where an apple tree had spread its roots from the other
side of the leylandii hedge.
Many things will grow under and through the hedge. I have trouble
keeping my hedge free of intruders.

How high is your hedge and how old? IME, nothing grows easily under
leylandii, except perhaps, ivy.

I hope you appreciate this :-)
I've just been out - in the dark - to measure it.
60ft Section A :- 8ft high. Tree spacing 2'6" to 3' apart. Base of
trunks, 7" to 9", probably 18 to 19 years old
60ft Section B :- 8'6" high. Spacing 3 ft. Base of trunks 9" to 12".
Probably 25 to 28 years old.
I've been tending it (lovingly) for the last 11 years.
In order to suppress all the normal hedge bottom weeds (nettle,
woundwort, nipplewort, goosegrass, bindweed, hedge garlic, ground ivy
and ivy, etc.) I am mulching with leylandii clippings and that is only
moderately successful. And grass grows right up to the south facing
hedge line without problem. The north facing side has a Leylandii
clipping mulch path between the hedge and the boundary line (allowing
access for trimming). Because I want to mow up to the hedge I have not
deliberately planted anything but, Honesty grows better there than
anywhere else. We have also had Michaelmas Daisy, Phlox, Strawberries,
Gooseberries, Mysotis, Aubretia, Lobelia, Allysum, Potentilla, Ash and
Elder saplings and Damson runners show up there of their own accord.

Now. Does that sound like the kiss of death to competing vegetation?

Properly managed, Leylandii is just another plant.
There are some magnificently kept Leylandii hedges around.

Allowed to run wild, - sure, its a weed. Like Ivy. Like Russian Vine.
I do not know what all the fuss is about. :-)

--
ned

A nature observer's scrapbook of the diverse wildlife found in East Lincolnshire, UK.
last update 15.10.2004
Yes Ned, there are some magnificently kept leylandii hedges. I, as a garden maintenance man myself (almost 9 years self-employed, picked up much knowledge and experience, but still hesitate to describe myself as a 'gardener' just yet!) am in care of several of them, including the fabulous golden Castlewellan variety.

But, whilst there indeed are many a cowboy out there in my sphere of employment, I have also encountered many the client who will insist and assert their will on you and their plants, even in the face of your best and sincerest advice. Even when there is easy money to be made from those types and their stubborn ways!

Currently, I am 'debating' with a very controlling couple who want me to reduce a Castlewellan and Leylandii Cypress hedge by several feet. I could easily charge them £300/400 for doing this (the leylandii is about 70/80 feet long, Castlewellan arounf 15 feet long). And they are happy with that cost. But, I am unconvinced at this moment if they will 'green-up' again on top as has been suggested by a few in this thread.

My only comfort may be that, as it's only the top coming down to old wood, that the lower parts will continue to grow and eventually grow through the nasty scar on the top (a few years?) well enough to eventually trim as you would the top of any hedge.

But any one with advice on that would be welcomed, I am nervous about doing this and seriously considering asking them to get someone else to do it!

Terry Deans