Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Nearly yummy time

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

"Pete C" wrote
First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)

Lucky you, my Early Onward peas sat there so long in their guttering
just not growing they haven't even flowered yet. Don't do Broad Beans
any more, certainly couldn't get on the ground to plant them in
Jan/Feb.

Bob, please try and sow some peas and broad beans in October and/or
November in the soil outdoors, or as Pete C has done. If only to disprove
what I advise.

I use Hurst Greenshaft pea and Bunyards Exhibition broad bean. NEVER fail.

I also use The Sutton, which seem to like to be sown in spring and fail
sometimes if sown in autumn. But they produce very quickly.

In fact on the allotment, a well experienced gardener has sown his last row
of broad beans on Wednesday this week. It is touch and go whether they
produce, but there is every chance for them producing, depending on the
weather in late summer.

I always soak mine in water overnight before sowing.

Hope this helps, Bob.

We used to years ago but we lost so many plants over the winter I often dug
them in and always had to re-sow in the spring anyway. The same thing with
over wintering onions. It must be our Thames silt/clay soil here of
something.
Eventually we used to plant Broad Beans in Jan or more often Feb depending
on the weather and peas in March but we have such a mouse problem it's
become impossible for us to plant peas in the ground anyway so they have to
be planted in guttering at home and planted out once big enough.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.