Old 06-06-2013, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Nearly yummy time

First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)
--
Pete C

Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote
First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)

Lucky you, my Early Onward peas sat there so long in their guttering just
not growing they haven't even flowered yet. Don't do Broad Beans any more,
certainly couldn't get on the ground to plant them in Jan/Feb.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pete C wrote:
First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)

My broad beans only just have flowers. :-(
Very lovely deep pink flowers, though.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Pete C" wrote
First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)

Lucky you, my Early Onward peas sat there so long in their guttering
just not growing they haven't even flowered yet. Don't do Broad Beans
any more, certainly couldn't get on the ground to plant them in
Jan/Feb.

Bob, please try and sow some peas and broad beans in October and/or
November in the soil outdoors, or as Pete C has done. If only to disprove
what I advise.

I use Hurst Greenshaft pea and Bunyards Exhibition broad bean. NEVER fail.

I also use The Sutton, which seem to like to be sown in spring and fail
sometimes if sown in autumn. But they produce very quickly.

In fact on the allotment, a well experienced gardener has sown his last row
of broad beans on Wednesday this week. It is touch and go whether they
produce, but there is every chance for them producing, depending on the
weather in late summer.

I always soak mine in water overnight before sowing.

Hope this helps, Bob.
Baz
Old 07-06-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:b1ceshFg7mdU2
@mid.individual.net:

Pete C wrote:
First picking of peas and broadbeens by next weekend.
(sown last oct under cloche)

My broad beans only just have flowers. :-(
Very lovely deep pink flowers, though.

My ones are just plain white.
vicky, which variety do you grow? I would love to have that colour in my
garden next year.

Baz

Old 07-06-2013, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote in

"Pete C" wrote
[...]

We used to years ago but we lost so many plants over the winter I often dug
them in and always had to re-sow in the spring anyway. The same thing with
over wintering onions. It must be our Thames silt/clay soil here of
something.
Eventually we used to plant Broad Beans in Jan or more often Feb depending
on the weather and peas in March but we have such a mouse problem it's
become impossible for us to plant peas in the ground anyway so they have to
be planted in guttering at home and planted out once big enough.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
My broad beans only just have flowers. :-(
Very lovely deep pink flowers, though.

My ones are just plain white.
vicky, which variety do you grow? I would love to have that colour in my
garden next year.

Unfortunately I don't have the name. I got them a couple of years ago from
the Hampshire Potato Day, and they were just sold as "crimson flowered broad
beans". I could send you a handful if I can find the leftovers (that sounds
so mean - you know what I mean!), but the ones I have are self-saved, so they
are a mix so you may end up with all white!
(all the ones /I/ have had come through so far are pink, but you could get a
different set germinate, if that makes sense)

Feel free to send me your address and if I can I'll send you some.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
My ones are just plain white.
vicky, which variety do you grow? I would love to have that colour in my
garden next year.

Baz
I think I got my crimson flowered broad beans from Thompson and Morgan. Very beautiful they are, but I'm not sure they're the best cropper.
__________________
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have the name. I got them a couple of years ago from
the Hampshire Potato Day, and they were just sold as "crimson flowered broad
beans". I could send you a handful if I can find the leftovers (that sounds
so mean - you know what I mean!), but the ones I have are self-saved, so they
are a mix so you may end up with all white!
(all the ones /I/ have had come through so far are pink, but you could get a
different set germinate, if that makes sense)

Feel free to send me your address and if I can I'll send you some.

If you google Red flowered Broad beans you will find a few suppliers.
They remind me of what I knew as "Cow Beans" they were grown as a field
crop, combined when fully ripe then milled in the winter as a feed
supplement for dairy cows, that was in the 50's

It's probably this:
http://www.angelfire.com/az/garethkn...nflowered.html

Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
If you google Red flowered Broad beans you will find a few suppliers.
They remind me of what I knew as "Cow Beans" they were grown as a field
crop, combined when fully ripe then milled in the winter as a feed
supplement for dairy cows, that was in the 50's

Oh, and thats kind of a relief - I've been getting bean-envy cos mine
are so stunted looking, but
"t's a smaller and more dainty plant than a conventional broad bean and grows to about 3ft with three red-tinged stems which usually stay up without support, at least until the podding stage"
Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.c2840e6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;984817']
My ones are just plain white.
vicky, which variety do you grow? I would love to have that colour in my

garden next year.

Baz

I think I got my crimson flowered broad beans from Thompson and Morgan.
Very beautiful they are, but I'm not sure they're the best cropper.

http://tuckers-seeds.com/index.php?r...product_id=221

Found some and ordered.

Thanks.
Baz
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

If you google Red flowered Broad beans you will find a few suppliers.
They remind me of what I knew as "Cow Beans" they were grown as a
field crop, combined when fully ripe then milled in the winter as a
feed supplement for dairy cows, that was in the 50's

I think they still do "Cow Beans". A place where I sometimes go fishing has
a field of them growing right now. The farmer has been growing them for
years in different fields. I always wondered why he left them swelling in
the pod.
The flowers are white though. No matter, at least I know now why nobody
goes to picks them.

I have managed to get some(150ish) Red flowered broad beans from a friend,
at the costly price of a dozen sweetcorn plants.

Thanks, David.
Baz

Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
My broad beans only just have flowers. :-(
Very lovely deep pink flowers, though.

My ones are just plain white.
vicky, which variety do you grow? I would love to have that colour in
my garden next year.

Unfortunately I don't have the name. I got them a couple of years ago
from the Hampshire Potato Day, and they were just sold as "crimson
flowered broad beans". I could send you a handful if I can find the
leftovers (that sounds so mean - you know what I mean!), but the ones
I have are self-saved, so they are a mix so you may end up with all
white! (all the ones /I/ have had come through so far are pink, but
you could get a different set germinate, if that makes sense)

Feel free to send me your address and if I can I'll send you some.

Thankyou, vicky, for the offer but I think that I have found some. Not
pink, but red. Well, I would like all shades apart from ALL white.

Thanks again.
Baz

Yummy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 15-02-2009 06:45 PM
Lasagna Gardening--yummy GarlandGrower Gardening 7 29-04-2007 03:52 PM
Mmmmmmm that's yummy! Padraig Garden Photos 0 02-03-2007 11:01 PM
FA: 13 Chocolate Bars & 9 Bags of Potato Chips - Yummy eBay-Auction Australia 0 14-12-2005 07:30 AM
Pesticide time is nearly upon us. Which ones will you be using? Pearson Reid United Kingdom 21 16-05-2004 09:09 PM