Old 07-06-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Nearly yummy time

David Hill wrote:
If you google Red flowered Broad beans you will find a few suppliers.
They remind me of what I knew as "Cow Beans" they were grown as a field
crop, combined when fully ripe then milled in the winter as a feed
supplement for dairy cows, that was in the 50's

Oh, and thats kind of a relief - I've been getting bean-envy cos mine
are so stunted looking, but
"t's a smaller and more dainty plant than a conventional broad bean and grows to about 3ft with three red-tinged stems which usually stay up without support, at least until the podding stage"