Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Another plant identification, please!

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/06/2013 09:13, Patty Winter wrote:

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

Could be a cotoneaster. The berries are often eaten by birds, resulting
in a plant springing up a fair distance from the original plant.
Cotoneasters vary in size and habit, but can get to be large shrubs.
But the evergreen ones are quite ornamental, being smothered in white or
pinkish-white flowers which are followed by red berries, which attract
birds.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff.

BTW, I stupidly forgot to mention that I'm in the San Francisco
Bay Area. That might help you and others consider the most likely
culprits.

If it is a large shrub, I'm afraid it will have to go. As you may
have noticed in the location photo, it's growing up from under my
azaleas, and also right next to a coleonema. There isn't room for
anything else there! If I had a good spot for it I might try to
transplant it, but I'm out of locations for large plants.

Patty

I'm going with Manzanita (Chaparral on the hoof). They have cinnamon
colored branches, and slick, glossy leaves. Know those wild fires in
southern California? Manzanita. Their seeds have to go through a fire
before they can germinate. San Francisco hasn't had a major fire this
century, yet. Keep up the good work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita
http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/man...Manzanita.html

--