Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Another plant identification, please!

This little (so far) guy has shown up next to some azaleas
in my front yard. Somehow I have the feeling that it isn't
going to stay small; it looks to me like it will turn into
a large shrub or even a tree. Does it look familiar to
anyone here?

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

Thanks!

Patty

p.s. Yes, I know that I haven't cleaned up my azalea since
it finished blooming. It's on my to-do list... :-)

Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 07/06/2013 09:13, Patty Winter wrote:
This little (so far) guy has shown up next to some azaleas
in my front yard. Somehow I have the feeling that it isn't
going to stay small; it looks to me like it will turn into
a large shrub or even a tree. Does it look familiar to
anyone here?

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

Could be a cotoneaster. The berries are often eaten by birds, resulting
in a plant springing up a fair distance from the original plant.
Cotoneasters vary in size and habit, but can get to be large shrubs.
But the evergreen ones are quite ornamental, being smothered in white or
pinkish-white flowers which are followed by red berries, which attract
birds.

--

Jeff
Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 07/06/2013 09:13, Patty Winter wrote:

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

Could be a cotoneaster. The berries are often eaten by birds, resulting
in a plant springing up a fair distance from the original plant.
Cotoneasters vary in size and habit, but can get to be large shrubs.
But the evergreen ones are quite ornamental, being smothered in white or
pinkish-white flowers which are followed by red berries, which attract
birds.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff.

BTW, I stupidly forgot to mention that I'm in the San Francisco
Bay Area. That might help you and others consider the most likely
culprits.

If it is a large shrub, I'm afraid it will have to go. As you may
have noticed in the location photo, it's growing up from under my
azaleas, and also right next to a coleonema. There isn't room for
anything else there! If I had a good spot for it I might try to
transplant it, but I'm out of locations for large plants.

Patty

Old 08-06-2013, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Patty Winter wrote:
This little (so far) guy has shown up next to some azaleas
in my front yard. Somehow I have the feeling that it isn't
going to stay small; it looks to me like it will turn into
a large shrub or even a tree. Does it look familiar to
anyone here?

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

Not one of my areas of strength but it looks like a camelia to me. I doubt
cotoneaster. Check google images for both.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Not one of my areas of strength but it looks like a camelia to me. I doubt
cotoneaster. Check google images for both.

A volunteer camellia would be wonderful! Although you've got a good
point that the leaves look similar, I think the habit of this thing
is too spindly to be a camellia. But maybe I'd better not pull it
out just yet until I get a better idea of what it plans to do. :-)

Patty

Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I'm going with Manzanita (Chaparral on the hoof). They have cinnamon
colored branches, and slick, glossy leaves. Know those wild fires in
southern California? Manzanita. Their seeds have to go through a fire
before they can germinate. San Francisco hasn't had a major fire this
century, yet. Keep up the good work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita
http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/man...Manzanita.html

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Billy wrote:

I'm going with Manzanita (Chaparral on the hoof). They have cinnamon
colored branches, and slick, glossy leaves. Know those wild fires in
southern California? Manzanita. Their seeds have to go through a fire
before they can germinate. San Francisco hasn't had a major fire this
century, yet. Keep up the good work.

Not just southern California; also the lower parts of the Sierra Nevada.
I see a lot of it in Yosemite. I don't think this will turn out to be
that; it's already looking too gangly and not red enough. But we'll see...

As for San Francisco, it *can't* have a wildfire because other than the
Presidio, Golden Gate Park and a few other small areas, it's all built
up. However, there have been plenty of wildfires in surrounding cities,
most notably the Oakland firestorm of 1991, which destroyed thousands of
homes and killed a couple of dozen people. The main culprit there was
eucalyptus. Well, and people who hadn't cleared brush away from their
homes-- although once the fire really got going, that wouldn't have
mattered.

Patty

Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Patty Winter said:

This little (so far) guy has shown up next to some azaleas
in my front yard. Somehow I have the feeling that it isn't
going to stay small; it looks to me like it will turn into
a large shrub or even a tree. Does it look familiar to
anyone here?

http://www.wintertime.com/Personal/Plants/tree.html

If this were in my backyard, I'd suspect glossy buckthorn (Frangula
alnus), which I had to spend some time this weekend trying to
control. The young, fresh shoots along the vegetable garden fence
look a bit like your shrub (including the reddish tinge).

But I read farther down that you are in San Francisco Bay area, so
I suppose this is unlikely.

My neighborhood is plagued by woody invasives: common and
glossy buckthorn, honeysuckle, privet, multiflora rose, white
mulberry, Siberian elm, Norway maple and ailanthus (all but the
last three are 'planted' by birds). Leave an area unmowed or
unweeded and it quickly grows up into a thicket of invasives.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] View Post
Not one of my areas of strength but it looks like a camelia to me. I doubt
cotoneaster. Check google images for both.

One little check to do on these possibilities - Camellia has a toothed edge to its leaf when you look closely. Cotoneaster doesn't - if you have something that looks like a cotoneaster and it has a toothed leaf edge, it's probably a pyracantha.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/06/2013 21:34, echinosum wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;984830']Not one of my areas of strength but it looks like a camelia to
me. I doubt
cotoneaster. Check google images for both.

One little check to do on these possibilities - Camellia has a toothed
edge to its leaf when you look closely. Cotoneaster doesn't - if you
have something that looks like a cotoneaster and it has a toothed leaf
edge, it's probably a pyracantha.

You're right about the leaves being toothed, so not a Cotoneaster. But,
as Nelson didn't say, "I see no thorns". So it's not a Pyracantha.

Any possibility of it being an Escallonia?

--

Jeff