Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Nearly yummy time

David Hill wrote in
:

If you google Red flowered Broad beans you will find a few suppliers.
They remind me of what I knew as "Cow Beans" they were grown as a
field crop, combined when fully ripe then milled in the winter as a
feed supplement for dairy cows, that was in the 50's

I think they still do "Cow Beans". A place where I sometimes go fishing has
a field of them growing right now. The farmer has been growing them for
years in different fields. I always wondered why he left them swelling in
the pod.
The flowers are white though. No matter, at least I know now why nobody
goes to picks them.

I have managed to get some(150ish) Red flowered broad beans from a friend,
at the costly price of a dozen sweetcorn plants.

Thanks, David.
Baz