Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Patty Winter[_2_] Patty Winter[_2_] is offline

Default Another plant identification, please!

In article ,
Billy wrote:

I'm going with Manzanita (Chaparral on the hoof). They have cinnamon
colored branches, and slick, glossy leaves. Know those wild fires in
southern California? Manzanita. Their seeds have to go through a fire
before they can germinate. San Francisco hasn't had a major fire this
century, yet. Keep up the good work.

Not just southern California; also the lower parts of the Sierra Nevada.
I see a lot of it in Yosemite. I don't think this will turn out to be
that; it's already looking too gangly and not red enough. But we'll see...

As for San Francisco, it *can't* have a wildfire because other than the
Presidio, Golden Gate Park and a few other small areas, it's all built
up. However, there have been plenty of wildfires in surrounding cities,
most notably the Oakland firestorm of 1991, which destroyed thousands of
homes and killed a couple of dozen people. The main culprit there was
eucalyptus. Well, and people who hadn't cleared brush away from their
homes-- although once the fire really got going, that wouldn't have
mattered.

Patty