Old 28-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

Default Seedling transplanting question

Last year I planted my seeds too early. Those I transplanted outside got
frosted (Zone 5). The rest (squash, watermelon, cantaloupe) stayed in the
pots too long and stunted the growth of the tap root. Then I needed to
water almost every day.

This year I found out when our last expected frost is expected, added 20
days, and then counted back 4 to 8 weeks. Cabbage, Cauliflower, broccoli,
and Brussels sprouts tolerate frost. I have those planted now (I saw green
yesterday, in the trays with broccoli and cabbage). A week or so later, I
planted two trays of onions. I wont be planting the rest for another 30 to
45 days.

On nice days I carried all the trays out to the back porch and got them
hardened off before putting them into the ground. I don't know where you
are located, but if you were here, I would say you started them too soon,
unless you have a green house.

Leggy plants are reaching for light. If they get too leggy you will more
than likely lose them. When I planted my sunflowers, I staked them up,
until they could stand on their own. I left them in the peat moss boxes
that you are supposed to be able to plant box and all. I found out that you
cant do that in a windy area. Not enough roots get out of the box to keep
them in an upright position.

Good luck and have fun. Dwayne

"jammer" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:59:04 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

Don't plant most seedlings below their initial level into the soil. It

isn't
necessary. Even planting tomatoes deeply isn't necessary, but if they are
too leggy, they do develop roots along the stem. Personally, I don't like
leggy tomatoes.

John

My tomato seeds sprouted and i am afraid they are gettng too tall too
soon. I will plant them down to the leaves, but it will be interesting
to see if i can keep them alive that long. My cantalope is up too.
Come on spring! (I'm not going to start that again. Last time i did,
we had the worse ice storm in YEARS)
jammer