Old 13-06-2013, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is name of this bush

On 6/12/13 1:34 AM, GILL C wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

|Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

Uniform yellowing often indicates a lack of nitrogen. Have you fed it
this year?

Since others have already identified it as skimmia, I looked it up in my
favorite garden book. It requires an acid soil, so don't add any lime.
While it likes a really moist soil, it cannot take soil that is soggy
wet.

Skimmia is a broad-leaf evergreen shrub. With such shrubs, old leaves
often turn yellow and fall just before new leaves sprout.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see