Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Default What is name of this bush

can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are dropping off and going pale green/yellow?
Attached Thumbnails
What is name of this bush-garden-bush-copy.jpg
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL C View Post
can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are dropping off and going pale green/yellow?
It's a skimmia. They come in male and female, and yours is female because it has berries.

I'm afraid it's hard to say why the leaves are going pale and falling off as just about any reason that makes a plant unhappy would cause this. Common unhappinesses include too wet, too dry, not enough light and plant disease. I think skimmias are also prone to a bit of this if grown in areas of alkaline soil. I think mine has had a few bits go yellow die off from time to time, but in the long run it thrives and gets bigger, despite being planted in a rather challenging very dry and somewhat shady situation, and me never doing anything except cut out the occasional dead bit.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
GILL C wrote:

can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

|Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

Pyracantha
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...et/images/fire
fly/2005/December/pyracantha-berries.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fireflyforest.n
et/firefly/2005/12/12/firethorn-pyracantha-berries/&h=491&w=400&sz=110&tb
nid=wvpwHmxcNQfqvM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=64&zoom=1&usg=__F 5Jwq30CuhN3lAgQTXU4chsF
P18=&docid=Cw_ekhImgwBFuM&sa=X&ei=PLa4UfDzIevliwLk hIGgAQ&ved=0CDUQ9QEwCA
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
GILL C wrote:

can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

|Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

Firethorn (Pyracantha)

Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/06/2013 09:34, GILL C wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

|Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

The plant is a Skimmia (probably one of the cultivars of Skimmia japonica).

Yellowing of the leaves is usually due to it being in full sun in dry
soil. It prefers moist, but well-drained soil, and partial to full shade.

--

Jeff

Old 12-06-2013, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/06/2013 09:34, GILL C wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

The plant is a Skimmia (probably one of the cultivars of Skimmia
japonica).
Yellowing of the leaves is usually due to it being in full sun in dry
soil. It prefers moist, but well-drained soil, and partial to full
shade.

I was thinking it could be:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranb...to/5424272111/,
but just wasn't sure. This is the picture I was looking at. The leaves
look like the leaves in the original link.

--
Natural Girl

Old 13-06-2013, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/13 1:34 AM, GILL C wrote:
can anyone tell me the name of this bush and also why the leaves are
dropping off and going pale green/yellow?

|Filename: GARDEN BUSH - Copy.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15603|

Uniform yellowing often indicates a lack of nitrogen. Have you fed it
this year?

Since others have already identified it as skimmia, I looked it up in my
favorite garden book. It requires an acid soil, so don't add any lime.
While it likes a really moist soil, it cannot take soil that is soggy
wet.

Skimmia is a broad-leaf evergreen shrub. With such shrubs, old leaves
often turn yellow and fall just before new leaves sprout.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see