Old 14-06-2013, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raspberries in full sun?

passerby wrote:
replying to Davej , passerby wrote:
galt_57 wrote:

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial
shade?

I think partial shade works best for them. I had a few raspberry
bushes in a full sun spot and they were literally fighting for
survival for three years until I moved them into the shade created by
picket fence (and a medium size tree for a part of the day). They
seem quite happy there, no yellowing and blooming rather well this
year. It would be the first year in partial shade, so I'm not sure if
less sun affects the taste of the berries, but at least the plants
themselves look much healthier there.
That part of the garden is further away from the house, so the soil
is not damaged by all the construction activity 6 years ago. So,
perhaps there are several factors at play here, not just the amount
of sun.

I suspect that is the case. I don't have direct experience of raspberries
(my soil is too heavy) but I have found that fruiting plants do require full
sun, the more sun they get the more energy they have to make sugar for the
fruit.