Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Raspberries in full sun?

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial shade?
I have a red variety but I don't remember what it is exactly. Out in
the sun they look a bit stressed. I have some thornless blackberries
in partial shade and they don't seem to like it. I would swap them but
the sunny area is fenced and thus better for isolating something with
thorns.
Old 13-06-2013, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

replying to Davej , passerby wrote:
galt_57 wrote:

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial shade?

I think partial shade works best for them. I had a few raspberry bushes in
a full sun spot and they were literally fighting for survival for three
years until I moved them into the shade created by picket fence (and a
medium size tree for a part of the day). They seem quite happy there, no
yellowing and blooming rather well this year. It would be the first year
in partial shade, so I'm not sure if less sun affects the taste of the
berries, but at least the plants themselves look much healthier there.

That part of the garden is further away from the house, so the soil is not
damaged by all the construction activity 6 years ago. So, perhaps there
are several factors at play here, not just the amount of sun.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/edible/...sun-40193-.htm

Old 13-06-2013, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

galt_57 wrote:

[...]

Read this for an answer to your question.

http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/r...icle10256.html

Full sun has always worked the best for me.
Old 13-06-2013, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 13, 11:50*am, Roy wrote:

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial shade?

Read this for an answer to your question.

http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/r...-about-raspber...

Full sun has always worked the best for me.

Even though this has been a rainy spring here I noticed upon closer
inspection that perhaps half of the blossoms have failed and don't
seem to be forming berries. Last summer's heat and drought was hard on
these plants even though I did try to water them regularly.
Old 14-06-2013, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

galt_57 wrote:

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial
shade?

I think partial shade works best for them. I had a few raspberry
bushes in a full sun spot and they were literally fighting for
survival for three years until I moved them into the shade created by
picket fence (and a medium size tree for a part of the day). They
seem quite happy there, no yellowing and blooming rather well this
year. It would be the first year in partial shade, so I'm not sure if
less sun affects the taste of the berries, but at least the plants
themselves look much healthier there.
That part of the garden is further away from the house, so the soil
is not damaged by all the construction activity 6 years ago. So,
perhaps there are several factors at play here, not just the amount
of sun.

I suspect that is the case. I don't have direct experience of raspberries
(my soil is too heavy) but I have found that fruiting plants do require full
sun, the more sun they get the more energy they have to make sugar for the
fruit.

Old 14-06-2013, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

galt_57 wrote:

Do raspberries like full sun? Or do they perhaps prefer partial shade?

I think partial shade works best for them. I had a few raspberry bushes in
a full sun spot and they were literally fighting for survival for three
years until I moved them into the shade created by picket fence (and a
medium size tree for a part of the day). They seem quite happy there, no
yellowing and blooming rather well this year. It would be the first year
in partial shade, so I'm not sure if less sun affects the taste of the
berries, but at least the plants themselves look much healthier there.

That part of the garden is further away from the house, so the soil is not
damaged by all the construction activity 6 years ago. So, perhaps there
are several factors at play here, not just the amount of sun.

Yellowing sounds more like a nutrient issue to me.

They are a crop that naturally (in the wild) goes for burned over land -
full sun.

However if you are more equatorial (I'm around 42 degrees, so not
equatorial at all) you may have a different issue with what "full sun"
means for you, and what that does to crops which want full sun here. I
don't mean full on tropical, just significantly closer to the equator,
and thus getting more of a strong overhead sun.

They will _grow_ in partial shade, but not fruit as much as in full sun
- here.

They also need to be thinned rather ruthlessly for continued production
- either the simple brute force method of mow half the patch flat in
alternating years, or cutting all the old canes and thinning the new
ones to a pretty wide spacing.

Old 16-06-2013, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 13, 8:29*pm, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article ,

galt_57 *wrote:

[...]

I have messed with various blackberries but raspberries seem to be a
little different. I'm at 38.5N and the summer heat out in the full sun
can be brutal. Since raspberries seem to have shallow roots I am going
to need to keep them mulched and watered. These had been growing wild
in a nearby wooded area for many years. I moved them last spring. I
think they are descendants of some raspberries I grew briefly many
years ago. Last year after the heat wave the canes started growing in
a leggy ground hugging fashion. So far this year the new canes are
growing erect, like a normal, healthy blackberry would.

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Low perennials for 50sqft, full sun, poor drainage, deer-res.? Marc Stephenson Texas 11 09-06-2003 12:56 PM
Will Shasta Daisy grow in constantly wet sand/full sun? Kevin Miller Gardening 4 04-06-2003 12:32 PM
I need a groundcover for full sun. Travis Gardening 6 14-04-2003 08:32 PM
Full Sun Hanging Baskets Lewis Spurlin North Carolina 0 08-04-2003 03:21 PM