Old 13-06-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okra

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 13/06/2013 19:50, David in Normandy wrote:

Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Grew it in the early 90's, when I worked near Newbury.
Grew it rooted the soil, in a cold frame, once they reached a size the
cover was removed and they carried on with no protection, also grew
Aubergines the same way, and Salsify in the open garden.

Salsify is a UK native.

I have grown okra, and it did a lot better, but didn't flower
until the end of the season and produced nothing. I was very
disappointed, because I was weaned onto it!

My suspicion is that you have kept them too wet for the actual
temperature, but I have no evidence for that. It has been and
is a miserable year, and they like heat and humidity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.