Old 13-06-2013, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Okra

Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.
--
David in Normandy.
Old 13-06-2013, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/06/2013 19:50, David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Grew it in the early 90's, when I worked near Newbury.
Grew it rooted the soil, in a cold frame, once they reached a size the
cover was removed and they carried on with no protection, also grew
Aubergines the same way, and Salsify in the open garden.
David @ the damp side of Swansea Bay
Old 13-06-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 13/06/2013 19:50, David in Normandy wrote:

Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Grew it in the early 90's, when I worked near Newbury.
Grew it rooted the soil, in a cold frame, once they reached a size the
cover was removed and they carried on with no protection, also grew
Aubergines the same way, and Salsify in the open garden.

Salsify is a UK native.

I have grown okra, and it did a lot better, but didn't flower
until the end of the season and produced nothing. I was very
disappointed, because I was weaned onto it!

My suspicion is that you have kept them too wet for the actual
temperature, but I have no evidence for that. It has been and
is a miserable year, and they like heat and humidity.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:50:25 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Got a small number of plants in the greenhouse. Last year they
succumbed to mildew, but hey if you don't try...

Same happened to the Aubergines (Long Purple).

Regards
JonH
Old 14-06-2013, 09:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 13/06/2013 19:50, David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Grew it in the early 90's, when I worked near Newbury.
Grew it rooted the soil, in a cold frame, once they reached a size the
cover was removed and they carried on with no protection, also grew
Aubergines the same way, and Salsify in the open garden.
David @ the damp side of Swansea Bay
I've grown them and obtained a small crop, but that was indoors, in Kent.
You need to harvest young, smaller than the ones in the supermarket - they get a tough inner lining very quickly.

They seem to be like aubergines in their requirements, except much more so - if you can't guarantee a bumper crop of aubergines, you won't get okra. You need a hot summer and give them plenty of water.

having had 6 bad summers in a row, I don't even bother to sow okra now.

Old 14-06-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Yep, grew it in the greenhouse, and it grew fine, but unspectacularly.