Old 14-06-2013, 09:47 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 13/06/2013 19:50, David in Normandy wrote:
Anyone tried growing okra? I tried some seeds and they germinated well
in my propagator, but haven't grown after that. They are in a warm
polytunnel and most have gone yellow and died.

Grew it in the early 90's, when I worked near Newbury.
Grew it rooted the soil, in a cold frame, once they reached a size the
cover was removed and they carried on with no protection, also grew
Aubergines the same way, and Salsify in the open garden.
David @ the damp side of Swansea Bay
I've grown them and obtained a small crop, but that was indoors, in Kent.
You need to harvest young, smaller than the ones in the supermarket - they get a tough inner lining very quickly.

They seem to be like aubergines in their requirements, except much more so - if you can't guarantee a bumper crop of aubergines, you won't get okra. You need a hot summer and give them plenty of water.

having had 6 bad summers in a row, I don't even bother to sow okra now.