Old 14-06-2013, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Ground cover toughest, flattest?

On Friday, June 14, 2013 11:13:32 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:40:51 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the practicalities over-ride.

Flagstone is attractive and requires no maintenence. Pebbles/gravel

is ugly, screams CHEAP, and you'll forever be retrieving migrating

stones.

Yes, been there, done that on another path.

Flagstone very tempting but expensive for a small, out-of-the-way area rarely used.

Was also thinking round (or preferably hexagonal) stepping stones, but have to deal with area in between and around. I know there exist plants sold specifically to fill the cracks between stepping/flagstones. First need to check if local place has broken pieces cheaper.

Tx for suggestion.

HB