Old 15-06-2013, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Ground cover toughest, flattest?

Higgs Boson writes:

On Friday, June 14, 2013 5:27:13 PM UTC-7, mlcwa wrote:
Higgs Boson writes:

I need to cover a short area -- a path leading from the lawn to a gate

which is very rarely used. There is a small area to the R. of the

path, up against a neighbor fence.

After debating the up & down sides of DG and pebbles, I am not satisfied with either.

Can anybody suggest a ground cover that lies really, really flat and

is very tough. The aesthetics are sort of important, but the

practicalities over-ride.

This is So. Calif coastal.

Don't know what grows there.

Here in NJ we'd plant Pachysandra (about 6") or

Vinca (about 4").

They keep most other plants out without any work to speak of.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Thyme is recommended on many Web
sites. I will also look at cinquefoil. Dan, the ones you suggested
are too tall; I need something really, really flat, but thanks a
bunch.

Moss,

--
Dan Espen