Old 28-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Pat Meadows

Default When to start seeds?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:34:21 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Plant the peppers and eggplants NOW. I usually plant my peppers in
early February, but I'm running a little late this year. I usually
plant my tomatoes at the end of March, and by late April I think I'm way
too late. But then in mid May when it is still too cold to set them
out, the tomatoes are outgrowing their pots and I have trouble keeping
them healthy -- they really grow *fast* once they get going.

This is a problem for me too (in the Appalachian Mountains
in north central Pennsylvania). We sometimes have frosts in
JUNE here. There have even been frosts here in July and
August, although these are thankfully very rare. Ugh.

I set my tomatoes out fairly early last year (around May 15)
but put them in WalloWaters which did - in fact - protect
them from several frosts. I'm going to do that again this
year.

The other problem with early planting for me is that the
garden isn't 'tillable' until around the end of May - it's
got standing water in several places before then. We have
very heavy clay soil and it takes forever to dry in the
spring.

I need raised beds! Hopefully, this year will see the
beginning of raised beds.

Pat
--
Pat Meadows