Old 20-06-2013, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Level a lawn with topsoil

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:09:14 +0100, Bob H wrote:

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want.

As Dave indicates, there's soil and there's soil.

But I'm more concerned about what you plan to do. How big is your lawn
to start with?

If it's just uneven, ok-ish but if the "walking on cobbles" is because
the ground surface is stoney, tipping soil on the top is going to be a
waste of time unless you want to raise the lawn level by about 6
inches. You will simply end up with dead grass over any stones.

Then having covered the existing lawn, what do you intend to do? If
you smother the grass with soil, then you need to grow new grass. It's
a bit late now to seed unless you are happy to accept the need to
water all the time. Turfing will be expensive.

And simply tipping soil is not the best solution. When I've levelled
in the past, I've used a mix of soil, sand and loam.

Overall, I think you're tackling a problem from the wrong angle.

--
Cheers, Jake