Old 20-06-2013, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Level a lawn with topsoil

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want.
Old 20-06-2013, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/2013 20:09, Bob H wrote:
I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want.

A ton of what?
is it "as dug" or is it sieved and weed free?
Old 20-06-2013, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:09:14 +0100, Bob H wrote:

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want.

As Dave indicates, there's soil and there's soil.

But I'm more concerned about what you plan to do. How big is your lawn
to start with?

If it's just uneven, ok-ish but if the "walking on cobbles" is because
the ground surface is stoney, tipping soil on the top is going to be a
waste of time unless you want to raise the lawn level by about 6
inches. You will simply end up with dead grass over any stones.

Then having covered the existing lawn, what do you intend to do? If
you smother the grass with soil, then you need to grow new grass. It's
a bit late now to seed unless you are happy to accept the need to
water all the time. Turfing will be expensive.

And simply tipping soil is not the best solution. When I've levelled
in the past, I've used a mix of soil, sand and loam.

Overall, I think you're tackling a problem from the wrong angle.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 21-06-2013, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/06/2013 20:09, Bob H wrote:
I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

Is this because the ground is baked hard clay or very stoney?

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want.

You probably want the wrong thing! A sand/peat/topsoil mixture applied
in the autumn is the traditional top dressing method to smooth out lawn
irregularities in combination with a traditional roller.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-06-2013, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:09:14 PM UTC+1, Bob H wrote:

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.
I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.
I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.
Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I want..

A roller would be much better imho.

I wouldnt pay £65 for a tonne of subsoil.

NT

Old 22-06-2013, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:52:11 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

Using a roller to try to level a lawn is the worst thing you can do if

there is any amount of irregularity in the surface level.

Everything you learn about turf care says "Don't compact"

Yes, I thought the idea of rolling lawns was discredited years ago. Certainly the last time I rolled a lawn must have been over 40 years ago - it didn't do any good then, it won't now.
It's a lazy attempt at a quick cheap solution to a bumpy lawn. For quick and cheap on not particularly good lawns I have filled obvious low patches with soil and sown seed but remember the seeded patch will have different grasses from the rest and will always look a bit different, but I am talking here of lawns that are mediocre or worse anyway. For better lawns then gradually improving the levels by top-dressing as already advised or lifting turf from low patches, bringing up the level and then re-laying the turf is the way to go.

Rod
Old 22-06-2013, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/2013 18:53, Rod wrote:
[...]

What you should do is to put an X cut the turf in the hollows, then
fold back add soil to bring up the level then put the turf back, a slow
method but you do keep all the grass the same, and you do the reverse
for any high points.
Old 22-06-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/06/13 18:53, Rod wrote:
[...]

I've rolled a lot of lawn not so long ago - heavy ground, infested with
pure-bred Arab horses...

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 24-06-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:09:14 +0100, Bob H wrote:

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I
want.

Just to not that according to my news reader this is the only post by the
OP and we have seen no response.

So our united wisdom may be failing to aid the poser of the original
question.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 24-06-2013, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Jun 2013 15:42:21 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:09:14 +0100, Bob H wrote:

I want to level my cobbly feeling lawn. It feels like walking on cobble
stones.

I am looking for someone who can deliver a ton or ton and half of
topsoil to my home in Leeds.

I found a place about 8 miles away who would deliver 1 ton for £65, and
I don't know if that is a reasonable price or not.

Does anyone know of anyone more locally who would/can deliver what I
want.

Just to not that according to my news reader this is the only post by the
OP and we have seen no response.

So our united wisdom may be failing to aid the poser of the original
question.

Cheers

Dave R

There are lots of responses. I can't comment on there content.

Steve