Old 22-06-2013, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Level a lawn with topsoil

On 22/06/13 18:53, Rod wrote:
On Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:52:11 AM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

Using a roller to try to level a lawn is the worst thing you can do if

there is any amount of irregularity in the surface level.

Everything you learn about turf care says "Don't compact"

Yes, I thought the idea of rolling lawns was discredited years ago. Certainly the last time I rolled a lawn must have been over 40 years ago - it didn't do any good then, it won't now.
It's a lazy attempt at a quick cheap solution to a bumpy lawn. For quick and cheap on not particularly good lawns I have filled obvious low patches with soil and sown seed but remember the seeded patch will have different grasses from the rest and will always look a bit different, but I am talking here of lawns that are mediocre or worse anyway. For better lawns then gradually improving the levels by top-dressing as already advised or lifting turf from low patches, bringing up the level and then re-laying the turf is the way to go.

I've rolled a lot of lawn not so long ago - heavy ground, infested with
pure-bred Arab horses...

--
Rusty Hinge