Old 24-06-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Deformed rose

On 2013-06-24 00:24:51 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
A customer has just brought these in, asking us if we know what is
wrong! It's supposed to be Madame Isaac Pereire. Apparently every
flower, bar one, is like this. All they have done is feed it last
September with a ready-prepared solution so no incorrect mixing or
dilution is involved. They say neither they nor their only neighbour
have used any sprays or weed killers. If anyone recognises these
symptoms and can put a name to them, we'd be very grateful. I've
promised them that someone will have an answer for them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9117326632/
--

Some of my roses, the old ones rescued from between East & West Germany
did the same thing last year.

General opinion from various sources on here, Twitter, Facebook, mostly
put it down to the cold spring. I'll have to check where these people
live because it hasn't been a problem with our roses at all. But it may
be that they got a cold, or colder, blast at just the wrong time. Roses
like a cold spell to induce dormancy but not when they're developing
the buds, apparently! If the marred growth is cut off, it's said that
they'll come back with a pefect second growth. But as Mde P only
flowers once, they've had it for this year. I'm going to suggest that
they cover their plant in horti fleece if the spring of next year
promises to be as cold at just the wrong time. Such a shame because
it's a glorious rose and the scent is out of this world.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com