Old 23-06-2013, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deformed rose

A customer has just brought these in, asking us if we know what is
wrong! It's supposed to be Madame Isaac Pereire. Apparently every
flower, bar one, is like this. All they have done is feed it last
September with a ready-prepared solution so no incorrect mixing or
dilution is involved. They say neither they nor their only neighbour
have used any sprays or weed killers. If anyone recognises these
symptoms and can put a name to them, we'd be very grateful. I've
promised them that someone will have an answer for them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9117326632/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-06-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
A customer has just brought these in, asking us if we know what is wrong!
It's supposed to be Madame Isaac Pereire. Apparently every flower, bar one,
is like this. All they have done is feed it last September with a
ready-prepared solution so no incorrect mixing or dilution is involved.
They say neither they nor their only neighbour have used any sprays or weed
killers. If anyone recognises these symptoms and can put a name to them,
we'd be very grateful. I've promised them that someone will have an answer
for them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9117326632/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

We get this from time to time on the very double roses, I have always
associated it with cold while buds are forming but have no idea if that is
correct

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-06-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-23 16:19:44 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

It's one of the suggested causes at Missouri botanic research, and
someone else has suggested capsid bug while another has suggested
Proliferation. http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=634
for which there seems to be no satisfactory explanation.
Given the spring we had, cold is certainly an entirely possible
suggestion and I only wonder why we didn't all get that problem! I must
check where they live and see if it's likely to be much colder than we
had here. A late frost is certainly a suggested cause.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-06-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:19:44 PM UTC+1, Charlie Pridham wrote:

We get this from time to time on the very double roses, I have always

associated it with cold while buds are forming but have no idea if that is

correct

That seems plausible given that with us if we see it it's usually the very first flowers. We seldom see it when the season gets well under way which is late this year.

Rod
Old 23-06-2013, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-23 18:06:21 +0100, Rod said:

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:19:44 PM UTC+1, Charlie Pridham wrote:

We get this from time to time on the very double roses, I have always

associated it with cold while buds are forming but have no idea if that is

correct

That seems plausible given that with us if we see it it's usually the
very first flowers. We seldom see it when the season gets well under
way which is late this year.

Rod

One article I read suggested that one cut off the affected blooms and
that second growth probably wouldn't be affected. But of course Mde.
Isaac isn't remontant.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-06-2013, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
A customer has just brought these in, asking us if we know what is wrong!
It's supposed to be Madame Isaac Pereire. Apparently every flower, bar one,
is like this. All they have done is feed it last September with a
ready-prepared solution so no incorrect mixing or dilution is involved.
They say neither they nor their only neighbour have used any sprays or weed
killers. If anyone recognises these symptoms and can put a name to them,
we'd be very grateful. I've promised them that someone will have an answer
for them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9117326632/
--

Some of my roses, the old ones rescued from between East & West Germany did
the same thing last year.

Old 24-06-2013, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-24 00:24:51 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
A customer has just brought these in, asking us if we know what is
wrong! It's supposed to be Madame Isaac Pereire. Apparently every
flower, bar one, is like this. All they have done is feed it last
September with a ready-prepared solution so no incorrect mixing or
dilution is involved. They say neither they nor their only neighbour
have used any sprays or weed killers. If anyone recognises these
symptoms and can put a name to them, we'd be very grateful. I've
promised them that someone will have an answer for them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9117326632/
--

Some of my roses, the old ones rescued from between East & West Germany
did the same thing last year.
My garden is probably too shady for them, so I put it down to that.

General opinion from various sources on here, Twitter, Facebook, mostly
put it down to the cold spring. I'll have to check where these people
live because it hasn't been a problem with our roses at all. But it may
be that they got a cold, or colder, blast at just the wrong time. Roses
like a cold spell to induce dormancy but not when they're developing
the buds, apparently! If the marred growth is cut off, it's said that
they'll come back with a pefect second growth. But as Mde P only
flowers once, they've had it for this year. I'm going to suggest that
they cover their plant in horti fleece if the spring of next year
promises to be as cold at just the wrong time. Such a shame because
it's a glorious rose and the scent is out of this world.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com