Old 28-06-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cotula cotula is offline

Default Positioning a Magnolia stellata

I have never had the pleasure of growing any Magnolia before, but the
combination of an end-of-flowering season offer and a gift voucher has
given me the opportunity. Would someone who has experience of what
conditions Magnolias do/don't like please guide me before I plant it?

I have two places that are good from the point of view of seeing the
Magnolia in flower, also where they are not going to get in the way of
the mower too much. Neither will get early morning sun at the times of
year when frost is likely. One will get much more sun and light than
the other, but will also be affected more by the prevailing SW winds.
The wind is broken by trees and shrubs between 12 and 15 metres away.
The shade in the other position is mostly from deciduous shrubs and
Birch trees, so middling, not dappled or deep.

So, which is better, lots of light but slightly blowy, or sheltered
and a bit shady?

TIA, cotula

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.