Old 28-06-2013, 09:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post

[/i][/color]
Lots of things that like sun are just not growing again this year, squash,
tomatoes, aubergines, peppers and chillies all seem to be sulking and
waiting for the sun and some real warmth. On the other hand the peas and
brassicas seem to be growing very well.
My greenhouse tomatoes, after a late start, are now flowering, so I'm confident they'll get there. First courgettes are pickable, and cucumbers won't be far behind.

On the other hand, this seems to be a very good year for flowers - there's been a really good display of early purple orchids in the Dales, and of globe flowers, and last week we were in a field with hundreds upon hundreds of heath spotted orchids. Last night we sat in the porch and watched a single echinopsis open 6 flowers, each 9 inches long, and I have a beautiful copper coloured water lily in flower that last flowered several years ago.