Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default Advice on a Haworthia fasciata

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:
(Beverly Erlebacher) wrote in
u:

It's a flower stem. The flowers are usually tiny greenish white
"lilies" with purple stripes. Occasionally Haworthias will produce a
plantlet on the flower stem long after the flowers are gone, so leave
it on the plant.

Just how long is the stem going to get?
Right now its just over 18cm And doesn't look like ist getting ready to
stop!

They can get really long, a meter or more, even from very small plants.

It's an interesting group of plants. easy to grow if you don't
overwater, and easy to propagate. The related genus Gasteria has a
lot of nice plants in it too. While some Gasterias get large,
Haworthias generally stay small so they're an good group of plants for
people with limited space.

Its actually one of my faves I have so far....

But the one i really want is the Haworthia Coarctata v.adelaidensis
With its loverly red stems tightly packed....B-)

http://www.desert-
tropicals.com/Plants/Asphodelaceae/Haworthia_adelaidensis.html
Like this....Only I have seen them with much redder stems

Unfortunately, without intense light, you can't count on them staying
either very red or tightly packed.