Old 29-06-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cotula cotula is offline

Default Positioning a Magnolia stellata

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:32:29 +0200, kay
wrote:

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;986286']

Sorry to confuse the OP, but IMHO - if the soil conditions are right (ie

moist, well drained, but definitely not dry soil) - then a magnolia will

always do well in full sun. Unless there is a continuous gale, IME wind

does not make much difference to the flowers, which seem pretty robust.

Mine is on the North side of the house, so gets no sun at all. (Even in
summer, it is shaded by trees from the early morning and late evening
sun from the NE and NW resp). It always gives a wonderful show of flower
- I can't believe it could do any better in sun.

Thank you, everyone. I think I shall plant it in the shady area,
although for it's first season or two I will have to water it well.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.