Old 30-06-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Snap! - another one gone. Stailness or mild steel the best forforks?

Just broke a stainless steel Spear and Jackson border fork.

It broke where the stainless steel handle joins the fork head.

This is the second SS fork I have broken - the other was from Screwfix
where I broke a tine.

Now I don't recall any similar failure with non-SS tools.

So I assume that SS is very good at stopping soil sticking, and also rust,
but this is at the expense of brittle steel.

Just checked and my only remaining garden fork (a really old Spear and
Jackson non-SS one) is down at the allotment.

So a purchasing opportunity, I suppose.

Anyone recommend some really robust garden tools?

Cheers

Dave R