Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Bird id?

I'm also going to put this in the bird group but I have twice seen a
new-to-us bird in the garden that I don't know. One of the nursery team
has seen it, too and he doesn't know it either. I saw it from a
distance so my description isn't going to be perfect! It's a bit bigger
than a blackbird and appears to have a dark back and belly. But it has
white cheeks and (I think) a pale 'chin' and white flashes in the
wings. If the bird I saw this morning is the same as the one I saw a
few days ago, the white wing markings are very distinctive as it flies
away from you, against the dark brown or black of its body. There may
be a flash of white on the tail and there may be a lighter brown or
chestnut cap to its head but I'm not at all sure of those. On both
occasions, it was feeding under conifers, once under the Atlantic cedar
and once under the Pinus montezumae. It was feeding from the ground
with an aggressive and frequent stabbing motion.
We live surrounded by farmland in the South Hams and our garden has
extensive cover for birds.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com