Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird id?

I'm also going to put this in the bird group but I have twice seen a
new-to-us bird in the garden that I don't know. One of the nursery team
has seen it, too and he doesn't know it either. I saw it from a
distance so my description isn't going to be perfect! It's a bit bigger
than a blackbird and appears to have a dark back and belly. But it has
white cheeks and (I think) a pale 'chin' and white flashes in the
wings. If the bird I saw this morning is the same as the one I saw a
few days ago, the white wing markings are very distinctive as it flies
away from you, against the dark brown or black of its body. There may
be a flash of white on the tail and there may be a lighter brown or
chestnut cap to its head but I'm not at all sure of those. On both
occasions, it was feeding under conifers, once under the Atlantic cedar
and once under the Pinus montezumae. It was feeding from the ground
with an aggressive and frequent stabbing motion.
We live surrounded by farmland in the South Hams and our garden has
extensive cover for birds.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/07/2013 13:53, 'Mike' wrote:
Blackcap

Black cap is smaller than a blackbird.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/07/2013 13:38, Sacha wrote:
[...]

I know it's not quite as you describe it but could it be a ring ouzel?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening, uk.rec.birdwatching

On 2013-07-01 14:17:05 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

That's a distinct possibility, though it might not be the bird I saw in
flight unless the silvery feathers edging its wings would show as white
bars? Seen on the RSPB photo it's very similar to what I saw this
morning. This one was alone and close to the house, which doesn't seem
to be descriptive of the ring ouzel. Otoh, we are close to Dartmoor
which it is said to like! To save effort and duplication I've x-posted
this to uk.rec.birdwatching.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening, uk.rec.birdwatching
CT CT is offline

Sacha wrote:

That's a distinct possibility, though it might not be the bird I saw
in flight unless the silvery feathers edging its wings would show as
white bars? Seen on the RSPB photo it's very similar to what I saw
this morning. This one was alone and close to the house, which
doesn't seem to be descriptive of the ring ouzel. Otoh, we are close
to Dartmoor which it is said to like! To save effort and duplication
I've x-posted this to uk.rec.birdwatching.

Pied Flycatcher?

--
Chris
Old 01-07-2013, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

CT wrote:
Sacha wrote:

That's a distinct possibility, though it might not be the bird I saw
in flight unless the silvery feathers edging its wings would show as
white bars? Seen on the RSPB photo it's very similar to what I saw
this morning. This one was alone and close to the house, which
doesn't seem to be descriptive of the ring ouzel. Otoh, we are close
to Dartmoor which it is said to like! To save effort and duplication
I've x-posted this to uk.rec.birdwatching.

Pied Flycatcher?

I know sizes are tricky, but surely that is quite a bit smaller than a
blackbird? (Not that I've looked up the numbers.)

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching
CT CT is offline

Mike Coon wrote:

CT wrote:

Pied Flycatcher?

I know sizes are tricky, but surely that is quite a bit smaller than
a blackbird? (Not that I've looked up the numbers.)

Yes, it is.

But as you say, sizes can definitely be tricky and it fitted the
colour/markings so worth a punt for the OP to check out some images.

Perhaps it was just a semi-albino Blackbird, like:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources...ticleLandscape

--
Chris
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-01 15:11:01 +0100, CT said:

Mike Coon wrote:

CT wrote:

Pied Flycatcher?

I know sizes are tricky, but surely that is quite a bit smaller than
a blackbird? (Not that I've looked up the numbers.)

Yes, it is.

But as you say, sizes can definitely be tricky and it fitted the
colour/markings so worth a punt for the OP to check out some images.

Perhaps it was just a semi-albino Blackbird, like:
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources...ticleLandscape

Too big and too 'beefy' for a flycatcher and I think the markings were
too distinctive for an albino blackbird. That aggressive stabbing at
the lawn wasn't blackbird-like, either, so I don't think it was that.
I'll try to remember to take the binocular upstairs tonight and the
camera!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'll try to remember to take the binocular upstairs tonight and the
camera!

No comment!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-01 19:42:12 +0100, David Hill said:

I'll try to remember to take the binocular upstairs tonight and the camera!

No comment!

Just as well, young man!! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

young man!! ;-)

I wish
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hampton Court Newbie

Have bought 3 tickets for next Thursday, never been to the show, (but
have been to the Palace) Any advice on getting the best show
experience appreciated

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Also known as the Mountain Blackbird -from Sacha's description, I doubt it.

Bill

Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2013 13:13, Derek wrote:
Have bought 3 tickets for next Thursday, never been to the show, (but
have been to the Palace) Any advice on getting the best show
experience appreciated

-
-
-
Lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

(Any Olympic GameMakers here?)

Take wellies with you. if it rains hard or has rained hard parts cut up.
With wellies who cares?
Other than that Enjoy.