Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Dwarf apple tree

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:42:31 -0400, songbird
wrote:

dunli wrote:
As I have limited space, I decided to buy 2 dwarf apple trees and are
presently in containers. The variety of both trees is 'Jonagold', which
were bought and planted on the same day only a couple of feet apart. As
I said, one is growing healthily and the other has curled up leaves.
This is what leads me to think one is diseased, or am I on the wrong
track?

not every plant is the same, also the soil
could be a different structure between
containers.

i'd talk to the place where you purchased the
trees as they might give you another to try.

without being there to examine the plant, roots,
soil when it was tranplanted we can't give
definite answers.

that one plant gets established more quickly
than another is not unusual.

if you do give another plant a try, make sure
the soil in the container doesn't have clumps in
it and that the drainage holes are not blocked.

I'd not expect apple trees to do well in a container, not even a large
container... apple trees need to go through a lengthy hard frost each
year to do well. Most plant nurserys give a one year warranty but I'd
think planting apple trees in a container would void any warranty from
the nursery. Unless one is experimenting say with bonsia apple trees
need to be planted directly in the ground.