Old 30-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Default Dwarf apple tree

Hello there friends,

Just joined Garden Banter and it looks like an exciting forum.

I posted this on another gardening forum but it did not attract any replies. Maybe there is no answer or treatment or there is not much information to go on. A local gardener said it might be some form of root disease and best to destroy it. I like to give things a few chances and hope there is some help out there.

I recently bought two dwarf apple trees of different variety. One of the trees appears to be growing ok but the flowers have fallen off. The other tree has leaves that appear eaten and turning brown with a few curling up. The newly produced leaves are emerging curled up. I can see no insect or suchlike on the tree.

It is the first time I have attempted fruit trees and any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you.

Dunli
Old 30-06-2013, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 13:43:59 +0200, dunli
wrote:

Hello there friends,

Just joined Garden Banter and it looks like an exciting forum.

I posted this on another gardening forum but it did not attract any
replies. Maybe there is no answer or treatment or there is not much
information to go on. A local gardener said it might be some form of
root disease and best to destroy it. I like to give things a few chances
and hope there is some help out there.

I recently bought two dwarf apple trees of different variety. One of the
trees appears to be growing ok but the flowers have fallen off. The
other tree has leaves that appear eaten and turning brown with a few
curling up. The newly produced leaves are emerging curled up. I can see
no insect or suchlike on the tree.

It is the first time I have attempted fruit trees and any advice would
be welcomed.

You don't indicate where you're located (growing zone) or what variety
of apples... apple trees can take several years to establish
themselves before producing fruit and most apple trees require a
particular pollenator. Weather also plays an important role with
fruit production, a frost can drop the blossoms before the pollenating
insects emerge. Check at a local nursery and plant more trees. Have
patience, good luck.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

dunli wrote:

if you just transplanted the trees it may
be a while before they recover and grow
"normally".

songbird
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird[_2_] View Post
dunli wrote:

if you just transplanted the trees it may
be a while before they recover and grow
"normally".

songbird
Thank you for the replies Brooklyn1 and songbird...much appreciated.

I am located in central Scotland,UK. The inclement weather here can affect planting and growing times.

As I have limited space, I decided to buy 2 dwarf apple trees and are presently in containers. The variety of both trees is 'Jonagold', which were bought and planted on the same day only a couple of feet apart. As I said, one is growing healthily and the other has curled up leaves. This is what leads me to think one is diseased, or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks again, folks.

Regards,

Dunli
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

dunli wrote:
As I have limited space, I decided to buy 2 dwarf apple trees and are
presently in containers. The variety of both trees is 'Jonagold', which
were bought and planted on the same day only a couple of feet apart. As
I said, one is growing healthily and the other has curled up leaves.
This is what leads me to think one is diseased, or am I on the wrong
track?

not every plant is the same, also the soil
could be a different structure between
containers.

i'd talk to the place where you purchased the
trees as they might give you another to try.

without being there to examine the plant, roots,
soil when it was tranplanted we can't give
definite answers.

that one plant gets established more quickly
than another is not unusual.

if you do give another plant a try, make sure
the soil in the container doesn't have clumps in
it and that the drainage holes are not blocked.

songbird

Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 09:42:31 -0400, songbird
wrote:

dunli wrote:
[...]

I'd not expect apple trees to do well in a container, not even a large
container... apple trees need to go through a lengthy hard frost each
year to do well. Most plant nurserys give a one year warranty but I'd
think planting apple trees in a container would void any warranty from
the nursery. Unless one is experimenting say with bonsia apple trees
need to be planted directly in the ground.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered User

Thanks again for both replies, which are much appreciated.

I'll take on board the advice and information. This is the first time I have attempted to grow fruit trees. If there are any further developments I will let you know.

Regards,

Dunli